Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lightweight Rocks, Narcoleptic Birds, and A Little White Lie

Okay, so what exactly is my fascination with narcoleptic birds anyway? I shall attempt to explain from the other way round: insomniac earthworms = not very interesting.

I think I built a new clear bomb out of cranium-235.

The other day I went to a flea market where I stole upon a peddler who was selling chickens. In a small stall were stacks of cubed cages with a variety of types of chickens; red ones, orange ones, white ones, black ones, ornate ones, dull ones. I engaged him in conversation hoping to discover what would possess someone to become a flea market chicken salesman and was quickly spellbound by his mysterious and exotic tales. After we chatted for several minutes he paused. "I have something you might like," he said, properly concluding that I was unlikely to buy a chicken. From the rear of his stall, he pulled a cage out from beneath a canvas sheet. Inside the cage was the most amazingly majestic bird I have ever seen. If you were to ask me what it was about this bird that was different from all of the others, I couldn't say. But from the first sight it was clearly something more. "This chicken is special," he said, understating the obvious. "Do not be alarmed," he cautioned, "but this chicken can talk." I laughed out loud. Suddenly the spell was broken. I had followed this serious little man through tales of his travels believing every word. What a sucker I was. "Not only can it talk," he continued, "It can not tell a lie." He said it with such confidence, I caught myself wishing it were true. What a strange experience. But the strange little man just pushed on. "You do not believe, but you will," he said, "Ask it a question." I felt foolish, but for some reason I played along. I got down to eye level with the magnificent looking bird and said "Okay, Mr. chicken, tell me something that is true."

"You are about to steal me," the bird said.

I have named him Larry. Anyone wants to know anything about anything, all you have to do is ask. Larry knows all.

No comments: