Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oh, Those Silly Chimerical Humans

When I was younger, 12 or 13 maybe, I was fascinated by unproven but seemingly plausible phenomena (well, plausible to a preteen mind anyway). I bought books about Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and UFOs. Though I didn't know it at the time, I had already begun to filter out things that I deemed less likely (fairies, trolls, and dragons for example). There is an actual place you can search for Nessie.

Anyway, I think that process is part of growing up, part of maturing; our ability to distinguish likelihoods should increase with age as our experiences grow and our intellects become more sophisticated. So, it's easy to be an adult and realize that all the Bigfoot footprints and Nessie photos are more likely to be hoaxes and that militaries around the globe are responsible for at least the majority of UFOs. But what is difficult to see are the beliefs that we still hold on to irrationally.

I want to believe I'm a skeptic, but I'm just not convinced.

This Just In: This blog was ghostwritten by Champ!

No comments: